Friday, 10 April 2009

I made a wonderful discovery yesterday.

I was cycling home after some volunteer work at a local primary school (nb: my day usually doesn't resemble Mary Poppins' quite so closely) when I accidentally found a new aquarium store: http://www.cambridgecoraltech.co.uk/.

I have dreamed of a store like this. Never thought I'd find one.

They sell coral. They sell lovely normal tropical fish. They also sell banded coral shrimp, lionfish, seahorses, pipefish, stonefish (OH MY GOD), stingrays (OH WOW) and - are we ready? SEA JELLIES.

Sea jellies! No way.

Sea jellies are super-hard to keep. They need constantly moving water and very specific foods. (The jellies on sale are apparently quite easy, becuase they like to lie upside down on their bells with their tentacles floating upwards. Nature, eh?)

Now why didn't I find this store before?

Because the browse mechanism that lead me to it was 'cycling down the right street'.

I've been intrigued for a while now by how bad conventional search is for finding local businesses. Location specificity in search is being improved by google maps, but there's a long way to go.

What excites me about improvements to location based search is this: That it will have a huge, and positive, impact of local small business. If a quick search can reveal that there is a specialist alternative to B&Q or homebase nearby, then that is more business that the specialist can potentially get, which in turn will lead to more specialists.

I could be wrong. But I hope that, if location based search gets really good, we could have a small-business renaissance. And wouldn't that be nice?


1 comment:

  1. Bout a month ago I stood outside Kings Cross tube stn with 90 minutes to kill - iphone plus local search function "record store" - found a store I'd never heard of hidden in a basement a nice short walk away - £30 later, happy afternoon for everyone. eff tee dubbayew.

    ReplyDelete