In all the schools I've worked in, teachers tend to rely on three dominant technologies: the textbook, the photocopier, and the folder. They find content they like in textbooks, photocopy it, hand it out to students, collect it by hand, mark it by hand. If it's good, they put it into a folder so they can find it later. I've worked in schools like this, and I still have several folders full of photocopies.
The teachers also rely on two secondary technologies: scissors and pens. They photocopy pages out of the textbooks, cut out the best bits from the photocopies, scribble on them, photocopy the result, and put them in the folder.
This is not good. In fact, it's bad. The marking is labour intensive, the mechanisms for repurposing are constrained by what fits on an A4 page, and the potential for sharing almost non-existant (unless you lend somebody your folder).
I'm pretty sure that www.english360.com (which I work on) is going to be a fantastic start to fixing this. But I wonder what else is missing.
Schools must be among the last workplaces to run so extensively on paper - what will the trigger be to take them off it?

No comments:
Post a Comment