I'm just back from an excellent Arcadia seminar on "Re-engineering the scholarly journal", by Mark Patterson, Director of Publishing, Public Library of Science.
If you haven't seen PLoS, check it out, it's awesome. Just look at what they've done with their metadata - look at it! Lovely. https://www.plos.org/
Short version - PLoS is (among other things) an open access academic journal repository for science. That means two things:
1. The content is free
2. You can do whatever you like with the content, as long as you attribute it.
Now I have many things to say about open access academic content (nutshell: I think it's great). But I'm going to talk about business models. Something I don't like about journal publishing is the trajectory of cash.
There are Four players:
- Funding body
- Researcher
- Publisher
- Reader
The sequence goes like this:
- Funding body given funding usually/often out of public funds (see also: the drug industry)
- Grant request submitted by researcher
- Grant request approved by funding body
- Money handed over by funding body
- Research done
- Research submitted for publication to publisher
- Publisher accepts for peer review
- Peer review
- Publisher publishes
- Library (usually university affiliated) pays for subscription to content
- Reader with library membership accesses content
OR (for the last two steps)
10. Reader pays for one-off access
11. Reader accesses content
Now this does my head in because of where the money changes hands. We start with public money (or, often enough that it counts), but we end with something that is not accessible to the public. Including the author!
The public can't use what they paid to create? That can't be right.
PLoS isn't like that, because PLoS doesn't charge for content. In PLoS, the public *can* use what they paid to create. But PLoS isn't a money sponge, it pays for itself - they're in 'surplus' (that's not-for-profit speak for 'profit') right now. How?
No really, how? How do you get in profit from not charging for content?
Well, they do it like this.
Consider those four players, in chronological reverse order this time:
- Reader
- Publisher
- Researcher
- Funding body
...now, who of these players have the most to gain from a single, individual piece of research hitting eyeballs? Who is the most fussed?
- Reader: Seriously not fussed, just wants good content
- Publisher: Semi-fussed, but only really cares about the aggregated eyeballs, not the individual articles
- Researcher: Moderately fussed, but is probably more fussed about the name of the journal (a rant for another day - this is not a sufficient value metric)
- Funding body: Pretty damn fussed.
Why is the funding body pretty damn fussed? Because the point of funding research is to have people read it. Without readers, the funding money is wasted. Results that are poorly disseminated may as well not exist.
What PLoS does is, they charge in accordance with fussedness. They charge the funding body.
Funding bodies pay for content to be published in PLoS. The cash-burden is thus neatly transferred from the end-user to the initiator. I'm not sure what it costs, but I do know that the funding bodies fork out. That means that the publisher can still generate a surplus/profit for their entirely necessary (and damn difficult) value-adding process of filtering, reviewing, aggregating, disseminating, and archiving, while the end-user can access what they did, after all, pay for, thereby increasing the sum total of knowledge in the universe.
What a great idea. Well done, PLoS. May you have many imitators.

Heh. I used to work with Mark Patterson, back in my Elsevier days.
ReplyDeleteAs to the 'prestigious journal' thing, it's actually not a terrible metric, because what the researcher wants is for lots of people to read _and_cite_ their work. And getting into Nature means that lots of people will read it, because Nature has a large readership. Sure, it's a proxy metric, but it's reasonably valid for the researcher.
But the overall business model is bang on - it's ridiculous (and bad for science) that journal articles are so poorly available. As with quite a few other things in this industry, the shape of the business is for the benefit of the publisher, not the author or the reader.
Hi John!
ReplyDeleteDisagree - it is a terrible metric, for one reason: It's too BLUNT.
Within any journal, even the prestigious ones, there's huge variation in the quality of individual articles. This would not be a problem if there was a way of adding assessments of value post-publication, but there isn't - everything in journal Q is presented as being of the same value, and they're just not.
That's why I like the PLoS metrics - they track number of reads and (super-valuable) the number of citations. That's a fine way of differentiating value within an undifferentiated data set.
We see usage & ratings metrics serving an excellent & useful function in many/most online environments. If Amazon does it with fiction, why should academia not?
Journal prestige is a branding mechanism - useful in it's way, but by no means the end game.
I like the brand Muji, all my plates and glasses are from there. Unfortunately their clothes don't fit me. The brand is a useful filtration device for finding products I want to buy, but within the initial filter, further filtration (homeware vs. shirts) is also necessary in order to find & buy the things I need. Branding is a good start but too blunt for fast & accurate content discovery.
Hi there
ReplyDeleteI'm a big fan of PLoS too. I recently published in PLoS one and it cost 1350 USD. They do have a waiver though if the authors cannot afford it. But I'm guessing that would really only apply to researchers in developing countries.
Thanks, Skeptimoo! Out of interest, did your funding body have to approve that, or was it at your own discretion?
ReplyDeleteHi Zoe, I was at the talk too, and I'm writing a book about digital scholarship. Publishing goes to the heart of it really and I think what the talk really brought home was that new technologies give us _alternatives_ - before we only had one model.
ReplyDeleteHi Martin, when & where are you publishing? I'd be very interested to follow the progress of your book :)
ReplyDelete