The wonderful Pat Lockley of the University of Nottingham (that's @patlockley, tweeps) made this extraordinary video about 'the Plight of Metadata':
It's twenty minutes worth of pure gold, with a caveat - it's only funny if you know about standards-based metadata.
That's quite a niche. Personally, I made my colleagues fear for my mental health by watching this at work - I couldn't stop laughing.
I love the video, but on the broader scale, I love that the Miracle of the Internet can actually make it viable to create a film like this. Before the internet, I doubt this video would ever have been made, because there was no way to distribute it to the (admittedly small) number of people who would actually enjoy it and benefit from it.
Then again, before the internet there would be no need for the Dublin Core metadata profile either - so there you go.

No comments:
Post a Comment